The membership and opportunities for leadership shall be open to all individuals meeting membership eligibility requirements. BAAC aims to respect and elevate the voices of its members and therefore there shall be no discrimination for reasons of religion, age, race, color, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, veteran status, disability, marital status, language, culture, or socioeconomic status or background.
Section 4.02 Eligibility
Membership shall be open to any employee at Indiana University Bloomington who has undergraduate academic advising as an official duty or by approval of the Member Recognition Committee.
Section 4.03 Termination of membership by Steering Committee
Section 4.04 Endorsement
No member of the Council shall use the name or logo of Bloomington Academic Advising Council (BAAC) as an endorsement for personal gain.
Section 6.02 Election of Officers
Section 6.03 Duties and Responsibilities of Officers
- The President shall preside at all meetings of the Council and Steering Committee.
- The President is charged with oversight of all Council activities and functions.
- The President serves as a spokesperson and representative of the Council for campus committees, campus events, and at state/national conferences.
- The President shall monitor the IUBAAC email account and serve as an administrator of the list serve.
- The President may call special meetings of the Steering Committee.
- The President may appoint ad hoc committees as needed.
- The President serves as an ex officio member of all standing and ad hoc committees.
- The President may delegate some of the above responsibilities to other BAAC officers without approval of the Steering Committee.
- The President will write the annual report of the organization and submit it to the Steering Committee at the final meeting of the Steering Committee for that academic year.
- In the event of a vacancy in the office of President, the Vice President shall assume the duties of the President, without prejudice to the ensuing term of office.
- In the absence or temporary inability of the President to perform the duties of the office, the Vice President shall assume said duties and while so acting shall have all of the powers of the President and be subject to all the restrictions placed upon the President.
- The Vice President shall perform other duties as may be assigned by the President and/or the Steering Committee.
- In the event of a vacancy in the office of Vice President, the President, with the approval of the Steering Committee, shall appoint a replacement who shall complete the term of office.
- The Secretary shall send notices of meetings as directed by the President.
- The Secretary shall record, distribute to the membership, and maintain an electronic file of the minutes of the meetings of the Council and its Steering Committee.
- The Secretary shall serve as an ex officio spokesperson on the Member Recognition Committee for all BAAC award selection processes. The Secretary will manage the nominations and supporting documents for the nominees.
- In the event of a vacancy in the office of the Secretary, the President, with the approval of the Steering Committee, shall appoint a replacement who shall complete the term of office.
- The Treasurer shall have custody of all BAAC funds and must be knowledgeable of University guidelines governing institutional funds.
- Assets maintained outside the University shall be placed in a federally insured depository institution approved by the Steering Committee.
- The Treasurer shall maintain a register accounting for all receipts and disbursements.
- The Treasurer will write the annual report of Council funds.
- The Treasurer will submit the annual report and present the account register to the Steering Committee for audit at the final meeting of the Steering Committee for that academic year.
- The fiscal year shall be from July 1 to June 30.
- The Treasurer shall serve on the Member Recognition Committee.
- In the event of a vacancy in the office of Treasurer, the President, with the approval of the Steering Committee, shall appoint a replacement who shall complete the term of office.
Section 6.04 Removal
Officers may be removed from their position by a two-thirds vote of the Steering Committee members present at the meeting of discussion. A quorum (defined as half plus one) of the current membership units must be present. Officers removed by the Steering Committee may, upon written request, have their removal confirmed or reversed by a simple majority vote of the BAAC membership.
A. The Steering Committee shall be comprised of the President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, the Chairs of the Standing Committees, and one representative from each of the following academic advising units:
- College of Arts and Sciences
- Jacob School of Music
- Kelley School of Business
- Media School
- School of Art & Design
- School of Education
- School of Global and International Studies
- School of Public Health-Bloomington
- School of Informatics and Computing
- School of Nursing
- School of Public and Environmental Affairs
- School of Social Work
- Students in Transition
- Academic Services-Athletics
- Groups Program
- Health Professions and Prelaw Center
- Hudson and Holland Scholars Program
- Hutton Honors College
- Office of Mentoring Services and Leadership Development
- Office of Overseas Studies
- University Division
C. The Coordinator for each academic advising unit is responsible for designating a representative to the Committee each year by September 1.
Section 7.02 Tenure
A. The Steering Committee shall reorganize each year by September 15.
B. The Steering Committee shall have full authority over the affairs of the Council.
Section 7.03 Powers and Responsibilities
A. The Steering Committee shall be responsible for meetings of the Council.
B. The Steering Committee shall supervise the activities of the Standing Committees.
C. The Steering Committee shall prepare and approve an annual budget by no later than the end of the second month of an academic year and shall share the approved budget with the Council within two weeks of approval as well as adhere to the following responsibilities:
D. The Steering Committee shall determine if annual dues are to be collected from the membership for the following year and shall determine the amount of the annual dues. The Steering Committee will bring any decisions related to dues collection to the membership, at the Annual Meeting, for membership ratification.
- The Steering Committee must approve all contracts and/or other agreements obligating the organization.
- The Steering Committee may authorize variations in budgeted expenditures as necessary to fulfill the Council’s goals. The Steering Committee must notify the Council of individual expenditures costing $1,000 or greater that are not contained in the original annual budget. The Steering Committee must notify the Council of any such expenditure within two weeks of the Steering Committee’s approval of the expenditure.
A. The Standing Committees shall consist of volunteers from the membership of the Council at large.
B. The Standing Committees will be convened by October 15 of each year and a Chair elected from the committee members attending the first meeting. Initial meetings of each Standing Committee shall be called by the previous year’s Chair or the BAAC President.
C. Each Standing Committee Chairperson will serve 1 year. If the Chair steps down, a new Chair will be elected by Committee membership.
D. Each Standing Committee Chairperson will serve as a member of the Steering Committee for the duration of their term as Chair.
Section 8.02 Nature of Standing Committees
There shall be three Standing Committees for the Council: Professional Development, Communications and Public Relations, and Member Recognition.
A. Professional Development
- The responsibilities for this committee include but are not limited to planning, conducting and supervising the professional development activities of the BAAC in a manner that contributes to the ongoing development and professional status of the membership.
- Brown bag lunches
- The responsibilities for this committee include but are not limited to the coordination of activities that communicate issues, ideas, and information to the membership.
- Website maintenance
- Listserv maintenance
- External communications to the campus and public regarding BAAC activities, awards, etc. (i.e., IU Homepages, Press Releases to IDS, etc.)
- The responsibilities for this committee include but are not limited to
- The recruitment and retention of members.
- If applicable, sending annual membership renewals and collection of the corresponding membership fees.
- Maintaining membership records.
- Conducting a fair and equitable nomination process for all BAAC awards.
- The Secretary shall be an ex-officio member of the committee for purposes of all BAAC award processes.
- The Treasurer shall be a member of this committee.
Section 8.03 Responsibilities
- Each Standing Committee shall perform such functions as prescribed above.
- Each Standing Committee shall prepare an annual budget to be submitted to the Treasurer prior to the last regularly scheduled Steering Committee meeting before the annual membership meeting.
- Each Standing Committee shall prepare an annual report to be submitted to the President prior to the regularly scheduled Steering Committee meeting before the last annual membership meeting.
- Each Standing Committee Chair shall be responsible for reporting its ongoing activities to the President.
Each ad-hoc committee must have a written charge stating procedures and duration of the committee assignment.
Ad-hoc committees may be created to promote the purpose(s) of the Council or carry out necessary functions of the Council on the state, regional or national levels.
Creation of ad-hoc committees, their jurisdiction, and the number, selection and tenure of members shall be the responsibility of the President and subject to the approval of the Steering Committee.
The existence of ad-hoc committees will terminate upon the expiration of the term of office of the President who created said committee or upon completion of its purpose(s).
A. Any member may propose amendment(s) to these by-laws to their representative on the Steering Committee.
B. The proposed amendment(s) must be submitted in writing and with signatures of five members. The proposed amendment(s) should be submitted to the Steering Committee for approval prior to review and vote by the membership.
Section 10.02 Submission
Upon an affirmative vote of a majority of the Steering Committee members present at the meeting of discussion, the proposed amendment(s) shall be submitted to the membership at any meeting or by electronic email within thirty days of approval by the Steering Committee.
Section 10.03 Adoption
The by-laws shall be amended by an affirmative vote of two-thirds of all votes received from the membership following two weeks written notice of the proposed amendment(s).
Section 10.04 Dissolution
Upon dissolution of this Association, the Steering Committee shall provide for the payment of all debts and claims against the Council and for the transfer of all remaining funds and property to Indiana University.