2020 Annual Fall BAAC Meeting (virtual)
Monday, October 19 at 9:30AM (EST)Administrative Notes:
- Log into the zoom meeting using the information below.
- You will be muted upon entry, if not please mute yourself once you join the meeting.
- Camera on is not a requirement but may be helpful when we break into small groups for the breakout session during the keynote.
- Use chat and raise hand feature for questions
- BAAC Professional Development Team Members will help keep track of questions.
We are excited to be able to host this annual event, though we cannot be together physically.
9:30am - 10:00am: BAAC Business Meeting
10:00am - 11:00am: Keynote Speaker Cia Verschelden
Zoom Meeting Link:
Join from computer or mobile:
Meeting ID: 884 7275 0402
Speaker: Dr. Cia Verschelden
Dr. Verschelden is a thoughtful and growth-oriented educator with over 30 years of experience in higher education at in both two- and four-year institutions. She is continually developing in teaching and learning, assessment of learning, higher education leadership, and equity in student outcomes. Dr. Verschelden’s first book, Bandwidth Recovery: Helping Students Reclaim Cognitive Resources Lost to Poverty, Racism, and Social Marginalization, discusses the effects of poverty, racism, and other social-psychological underminers - stereotype threat, belongingness uncertainty, homophobia, for instance - on the mental bandwidth of college students and how we can create environments in which they can regain bandwidth so they can learn and be academically successful. This book was part of the BAAC Reading Group in Fall 2019 and helped advisors develop a plan for how they can utilize the teachings of this book in their advising practice.
Brought to you by the BAAC Professional Development Committee
Cynthia Allen, Committee Chair
Robin A. Banks