Monday, March 22
10:00 am - 11:30 am
Online Advising: How to Better Serve Our Students!
Missed the event? View the recording!
Discussion questions from the event:
- During the last year, most advisors experienced a radical change in how they work with students. What are some new, effective practices and/or resources that you have used during the pandemic that you think serve students really well? Which of these practices would you like to keep, even after restrictions are lifted and we are able to return to campus?
- What aspects of working with students did we lose during the pandemic that you think are vital to renew, once we return to campus? Why?
- Now, let’s turn the focus to your personal experience of work. What are some new practices and/or resources that you have used during the pandemic that you think serve you really well? Which of these practices would you like to keep, even after restrictions are lifted and we are able to return to campus?
- At some point, we will be able to transition back to campus to conduct our work as advisors. If you could combine the best parts of your pre-pandemic advising practice and your pandemic-advising practice to create a new vision for how you work as an advisor post-pandemic, what would your vision include? What do you want work to look like post-pandemic and why?
- In your opinion, what may be the best ways to bring these new visions of advising into being? How can we best express our innovative ideas to leadership, and do you think they will be open to change?
- Transitioning back to working on campus can involve some stress, strain, and anxiety. In your opinion, what may be stressful about the transition back to campus? What may be some ways to positively cope with the stresses of this transition?
- Thinking big-picture, in what ways has your pandemic-advising experience helped you to grow as a person?